Saturday, July 17, 2010

Indians and Bagpipes



My son, Aaron graduated from the University of Oklahoma in May.

It's a big deal for me. First of all, I always assumed my children would grow up, go to college, and become successful adults. Well, Aaron gave me just a little bit of a challenge in his high school years....and I was slapped with the "reality check" that kids don't always do what their parents have planned for them. (Duh) I really struggled with this, though. I never even thought is was a remote possibility--and to have to let this go was tough, **TUF** tough. I really didn't know if he would graduate from high school, let alone go to college. Not because he couldn't handle the education piece, mind you....he is very smart. However, he made some, shall I say, poor choices in extra-curricular activities that caused him to have to go through a harder route than he could have. So, in May 2010 he made it through the School of Mass Communications and Journalism as a Sooner with a degree in Advertising.


Now--the festivities! Only in Oklahoma could you attend this event and see a bunch of Bagpipers fully kilten clad and bagpiping up a storm
while an entourage of Indian chiefs in full regalia come marching down the aisle.

I will say that I enjoyed the speakers at this commencement so much! The first evening was a Pulitzer Prize winning author and presidential historian named Doris Kerns Goodwin. She was one incredible lady and speaker!
She was so interesting and talked a mile a minute and never even looked at her notes or anything! Full of great stories....she also knows a TON about the Brooklyn Dodgers! Quite accomplished, very educational, enjoyable...just all around special treat for what is usually kind of a dreary pomp and circumstance kind of event!!
The next day was for the individual college...and the speaker was an OU alum that invented the Happy Meal! It was a very interesting story of how it came to be....(too bad that it was a precursor to the rampant childhood obesity we face today-not to put a damper on things--I'm just sayin'....)

Anyway...it's on to bigger and better things for him! Austin, Texas is where is he heading now! Congrats to Aaron!

No comments:

Post a Comment